Named in honor of Broward County’s first African-American circuit court judge, this scholarship will be awarded to a rising 2L or 3L student of African-American descent who has overcome obstacles before or during their academic journey, and has demonstrated solid academic performance.
Qualifications and Deadline
April 27, 2022
Henry Latimer Scholarship Application Essay prompt
Currently, we have seen the media portray the invasion of Ukraine by Russia using phrases such as Ukraine being a “civilized nation” and that it is hard to see “blond haired, blue eyed people as refugees,” compared to African and Middle Eatern Nations, all while ethcnic groups, primialrly of African countries in Ukraine are being denied access to escape the bombings. How can we combat these microaggressions when it comes to how black people are seen and treated globally in the media?
The following requirements must be completed to be considered for the scholarship:
1. Be a rising 2L or 3L law student of African-American descent.
2. Currently attending an accredited law school in the State of Florida.
3. Have a minimum GPA of a 2.5 on the UNOFFICIAL transcript uploaded at the time of application. (Ideal candidate will have demonstrated a solid academic performance during law school).
4. Written communication demonstrated in completed Essay (750 words typed).
5. Upload a 4x6 photograph (HEADSHOT ONLY) that is clear and may be used for publication.